Thursday, February 14, 2008

Sharing the love.

I love going out for Mexican food and having that perfectly shredded chicken in my burritos. I had never tried to make it because it seemed so intimidating and time consuming. Guess what? It is a breeze to make and you probably have all the ingredients right now!
Last night we had tostadas and soft tacos with it. We've had it just by itself with mexican rice. And I am dying to use it for chicken nachos! The best part? It makes about three meals worth. You've got to try it.

Ingredients:

1 3lb. bag boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 bottle Italian dressing (I use light)
3 cloves garlic
1 onion
1 green pepper
1 Tbs. Cumin
1 Tbs. Chili powder
salt and pepper (I hate telling people how much to use because I like salt a LOT)

Thaw out the bag of breasts and trim off anything that might gross you out and rinse. Slice onion and green pepper. I don't even bother slicing the garlic, I just smoosh with the side of my knife. Toss all the ingredients in a Crock Pot for 4-5 hours on high.
IMG_0547.JPG
IMG_0545.JPG

After I noticed my Crock Pot had turned off I spooned out all the breasts (there will be a lot of liquid now) and put them in a separate bowl. With a fork in each hand, start raking the meat. It practically shreds itself taking no more than 2 minutes to do it all.

Toss all of it back into the Crock Pot and give it one good stir. Turn Crock Pot to low until you are ready to eat it, but for at least 1/2 an hour.

IMG_0558.JPG

It is totally fool-proof. I used a jalapeno yesterday instead of the green pepper . I wanted to throw in a tomato too but I only had one so I reserved it for a taco topping. Add what you like, leave out what you don't!

I put leftovers in sandwich bags in the freezer. Mmmm...Chicken Nachos!

6 comments:

LJR said...

first of all, when I read chicken nachos...i started drooling...i love chicken nachos. Thanks for posting the receipe. I agree....I like the shredded chicken in tacos...looks so good!

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

Heaven!

Unknown said...

Yum! That recipe sounds great! I'll definitely be using that one.

BTW, found you by clicking around blogs today, hope you don't mind! :)

Unknown said...

Oh here's my blog, if you're interested.
http://katissavedbygrace.wordpress.com

MP said...

OK..that looks really yummy and easy!! I'll have to give it a shot!

Donielle said...

Exactly how I make mine! O.K. so not exactly, my seasonings are a bit different, I'll have to try the italian dressing thing! Have you ever tried making the tortilla shells too? Super YUM!