Monday, December 18, 2006

Happy Birthday Mason!

Dear Mason,
Yesterday you turned 3 years old. My gosh, where is the time going? It feels like just yesterday that I sat down and wrote to you on your second birthday.
nov-dec 06 034
The past year has been crazy. You have become so much more independent yet you still need a bunch of snuggle time throughout the day. Don't worry about me, I love that about you and drop everything when you just want to snuggle because I know deep down that you won't be like that forever. I'm taking it all in. You still nurse once a day during the week, right before nap time. The weekends almost never since your Dada puts you to sleep then. We've nursed a looooong time now Mason, so when your ready to be done just let me know. I never thought I'd be one of those people that nurse their kids until 3, but I am proud to say now that I am. It's amazing, the things we do for our kids.
summer06 011
Last year I talked about all the things you could say and the cute things you did at that time but that would take me forever this year. This year you say everything and are able to do just about everything an average person can do. You are by no means average though. You have got personality plus! A few weeks ago your Dad did something that really made me mad. He went to play basketball like he does every Wednesday and the hour that he is usually gone began to get a little longer until he was gone just about 2 hours. I was mad, really mad and I lost it a little. Not my proudest moment. I think I said something like, "This basketball stuff is really starting to Piss. Me. Off!" You then did an Oscar worthy performance of "Dada you really Piss. Me. Off!" with hand gestures and all. The tense situation turned immediately to tears of laughter. It's nice to know you've got my back!
Harper 005
One of my favorite memories of the past year was the week we spent in Mexico. You loved the airplane, you loved the beach, and you slept like a champ. Even though your dad and I got a little sick, you made sure we still left our room because you were healthy as a horse and ready to party like a rockstar! That would be our last trip ever as a threesome. You were awesome and made the trip one I will never forget.
Vacation in Mexico 095Vacation in Mexico 084
Sometimes I feel a little guilty about spending much of your last year pregnant. My patience left little to be desired and as your dad says, "I was pretty hormonal." I feel like I should have spent more time with you before we became a family of four. I was telling someone about the guilt I felt and they assured me I was giving you the best gift anyone could ever give, a sibling! That instantly made me feel better and has ever since. I hope someday you'll agree.
Harper 001
Your sister loves you to pieces. Even when you squeeze her a lot too hard and do cannon balls that end up partially on top of her, she almost always ends up giving you the hugest smile that your Dad and I work so hard to get. I hope everyday that the two of you will grow up to be as close as a brother and sister can be.
nov-dec 06 025

Although you are no longer an only child, you still hold a very special place in my heart. The day you were born was the most amazing day of my life because it was the day I went from being a woman to a mother. Something that only happens once in lifetime and something I've wanted my whole life but I never knew. So thank you Mason, Thank you for making my most amazing dream come true! I can't wait to see what the next year brings.

nov-dec 06 021

Love, Mama

8 comments:

Christy J said...

I boo hoo cried!!!!!! That was so freakin sweet!!!!!! I can't believe he is 3!!!! Holy crap. I REAAAAAAAAALLY can't believe Hayden is almost 3.

Ms. Mamma said...

Feliz Cumpleanos, Amigito!

Mama C-ta said...

Gah, I cried too! That was very, very sweet and that picture of him touching your pregnant belly killed me! He's such a doll, what a cute boy.

Ashley said...

Damn - that's to freakin sweet!

Anonymous said...

Awww. Happy birthday Mason.
And, congrats to you on three years of motherhood.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your little boy :o)

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

awww, that was soooo sweet. :)
happy belated birthday, mason. and happy belated birth day to you, mama. congrats on making it to 3 yrs with nursing. what a wonderful gift you've given him! i know what you mean about saying you'd be fine with him being done any time now though. ;) ava is 2 1/2 years today and i'm feeling that way myself. like you though, i try to remember that this stage in their life is so short in the grand scheme of things, and will be over before we know it.

Anonymous said...

OMG!! What a tear jerker! That was beautifully written and such a wonderful thing to do for your child :) So sweet! Your kids are lucky to have such a great mama!

(Hope ya don't mind, but found your blog while perusing Ms.Mamma's links!)