Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Recipe Anyone?

I made this salad on Sunday and it was FAB. I am not a huge bean person but something about the combination of things in this salad made this so tasty and summery. It started as a "bumblebee salad" but I tweaked it so I'll give you my recipe.

Confetti Salad- cause it's like a party in your mouth! ( no cheese just corn-iness!)

1 can black beans
1 can garbanzo beans
1 bag frozen corn (get good frozen corn)
I green or red pepper chopped fine
1 red onion chopped fine
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 Tbs. olive oil
salt and pepper

Drain and rinse beans and corn in colander. Chop onion and pepper so everything is roughly the same size ( as beans and corn). Chop fresh cilantro. Throw everything into a big bowl and add oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Toss and refrigerate.

I was skeptical with the lack of seasoning and almost added some of my own, but it needs nothing extra. It is seriously a great salad and very healthy. Mason couldn't get enough of it, and I ate it on tortilla chips the next day. Go on and try it, then tell me how much you loved it!

11 comments:

MP said...

Dumb Question: When the corn thaws don't you get excess liquid in the bowl? Why use frozen corn??

AnnieM said...

Not a dumb question at all! The corn thaws super fast! By the time you've rinsed the beans and corn in the colander under cold water, the corn is no longer frozen, just cold. It worked perfect for me. You probably could use canned if you want, but canned just freaks me out a little. Frash would be great just a lot more work.

AnnieM said...

Gah! fresh, not frash.

Ashley said...

hey girly I could find your email address - email me the length of Harpers collar bone to her knees (for her dress:))(ashley.gillihan@gmail.com)

Mommyca said...

it sounds really good, I may have to make it! I love fresh cilantro. I have a recipe you might like, it's for a no mayo coleslaw, very yummy, light and summery. Let me know if you want it and I'll email it to ya:o)

Erica said...

I have had that on chips as well. When I ate it, there was sour cream in it. Probably not good for the points. Thanks for the encouragement. I feel like I am obsessed w/ points. It is insane!

Christy J said...

That sounds very much like a tex mex salad I get a our local healthy food grocery. I think they use some lemon juice, garlic powder, and cumin...

YUMMY!!!!!

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

that sounds tasty for chips especially. i might have to give it a go. :)

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

i had to tell you i made a variation of this for dinner tonight and it was delicious. thanks for the inspiration. i've been so lacking in the dinner creativity department lately.

metalia said...

Yum yum YUM. I must make this immediately. And did I ever tell you how much I ADORE your hummus recipe? Because I do. A lot. :)

BCMS Foundation said...

fantastic and simple...love it!